There’s nothing like a good quote to inspire you to book your next flight.
Having spent 52 days exploring Europe at the end of last year, you could say I’m definitely a sucker for a little travel inspiration. I love dreaming about travel almost as much as I love traveling.
Here is a collection of my top ten travel quotes – if you’re not suffering from wanderlust already, you will be once you’ve read these.
10. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Anonymous
This one is absolutely 100% correct! Traveling can be expensive, even if you try to do it cheaply, but it is so, so, so worth the money. You come away feeling enriched and having had so many new experiences that you will never forget for the rest of your life.
9. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
I love this. We live in such a consumerist society and sometimes we’re too focused on buying the latest iPhone or the biggest TV to stop and appreciate the world around us. Things can’t make us happy – not for long anyway. But if you live everyday as if it’s your last then the world suddenly looks a lot brighter.
8. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” ― Gustave Flaubert
One of the things I noticed while traveling Europe was how much we did and how many places we went to – but the places we visited covered such a small area on the map! What we saw was nothing compared to how much there is to see out there. You could spend your whole life traveling and not see everything. We live in such a small section of the world and it is quite humbling to realise that.
7. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” ― Augustine of Hippo
It’s true – if you live your whole life without traveling, you really limit yourself. There’s so much to explore, get out there and do it!
6. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” – Mark Twain
There isn’t a single moment that I regret from my travels around Europe. If you have the chance to try something new, you should go for it – you won’t lose anything, and you’ll gain a whole new set of experiences.
5. “Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” ― Judith Thurman
How many of you can relate to this one? Flicking through other people’s travel photos fills me with so much homesickness for the entire world. It all just looks so amazing and I want to see it all.
4. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
I guess all of the travel blogs out there on the internet can attest to this one! Everyone who travels has an amazing, unique story to tell.
3. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” ― Anita Desai
Every new city you visit becomes part of the story of your life, part of who you are as a person – that’s the beauty of travel.
2. “Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
What list of travel quotes would be complete without this one? It’s actually really fun to wander around a city with no particular aim in mind, that way you are open to anything that might happen.
1. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
I think this quote is beautiful. Traveling changes you for the better. Getting to know other cultures and people from around the world gives you a new perspective on life. It’s amazing to see the same moon shining down on you from the other side of the world, and it’s important to keep your eyes and your heart open to new experiences.
Do you have any favourite quotes that inspire you to travel? Feel free to share them in the comments section below.